The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency; a reverence for our past act or word, because the eyes of others have no other data for computing our orbit than our past acts, and we are loath to disappoint them. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Emerson says: “Always do what you are afraid to do.” What is ‘too scary’ to write about? Try doing it now.
So I wasn’t really sure about what to write on this prompt. I know that many of my fears and personal challenges involve choosing the proper career path for myself. However, I was talking with Sarah and she gave me a GREAT idea for what to write about. So here it is, a list of my top 10 fears.
My Top 10 Fears (in no particular order):
- Getting Married – Sarah and I have been together for well over 6 years now. I’m entirely confident that she’s the one. It’s just…well…I have cold feet and nerves. It’s almost like they stay in Antarctica year round.
- Losing my Parents – I’ve already lost all but one Grandparent (two before I was even born) and that was hard enough on me, my brother and my parents. I can’t even imagine what it would feel like to lose a parent.
- Telling my Parents and Brother how I truly feel – I know I love them, but I just have a hard time saying it.
- Losing contact with my closest friends – Marriage, kids and jobs. These all have the same thing in common. Taking too much time from people to do other things. I know it’s unrealistic to think we can see each other every weekend again. Seeing them once or twice a year isn’t quite enough.
- Not being able to pay my bills – With a car payment, two student loans, utilities, rent and a few other things it seems like money is hard to come by. I make enough to live currently, but jobs aren’t guaranteed no matter how hard you work.
- Buying a first place – As with all 20-somethings you have to consider buying your first place. Finding something within your price range and being able pay the bills (all of them) on time every time with a home is still a challenge and fear.
- Semi-Trailer Trucks – When I was 16, I was involved in an accident involving a semi. The tow company said had I rotated even another degree the air bag would not have deployed and I may not be here at this point.
- Spiders – I have some inherent fear of spiders…and they are just gross
- Storms – Yes Sarah, I’ll put it on here for you! I’m mainly afraid of DRIVING in storms and bad weather.
- Free Falling – After talking with some people on Twitter (@bgKahuna) I realized that I left this one off. I really can’t stand the feeling of free falling, which is the root cause to why I don’t like roller coasters and will never sky dive.
The NFL Lockout – I WANT ME SOME FOOTBALL!
To be honest I tried to think of 10 serious ideas but I really couldn’t come with any hence you get the last four on this list…
What are some of your fears? You don’t necessarily have to have 10, but share them! It’ll be awesome if you do. Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section of the site and share this with your friends with the methods below. Thanks!
2011-06-08 22:11 +0000