With Thanksgiving right around the corner, my wife had the idea to make some mini apple pies to bring to the family gathering since we had leftover apples from Backyard Orchard.
I’ve been using an apple pie recipe from the Moms Who Think website (no, it’s not just for moms) and have fallen in love with the Apple Crumb Pie and their butter crust recipes. If I can make it, so can you.
For the mini apple pies, I simply followed the full recipes on the Moms Who Think site and altered the bake time. Following the recipes below, I made 18 mini apple pies and had enough to spare for two 7 oz and one 16oz Corningware Stoneware “pies.”
Mini Apple Pie
Flaky Butter Pie Crust Recipe (without shortening)
Makes 2 single crusts
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup ice water (must be ice water to get a flaky, non-chewy crust)
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is coarse crumbs. A pastry blender does the best job of combining the ingredients without overworking the dough.
- Sprinkle ice water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, evenly over flour mixture, tossing lightly with a fork until mixture forms an even ball of dough. Be sure to use a fork instead of your hands. You’ll avoid overworking/warming the dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. Cold dough is an absolute must.
- Once cold, remove the dough from the plastic wrap and divide in half. Place one ball (wrapped in plastic) back into the refrigerator until you’re ready to roll it out.
- Roll the one ball of dough on a lightly floured surface, rolling into a circle about 12 to 14 inches round.
- Carefully fold in quarters, lift gently and unfold into 9-inch pie pan.
- Gently press pastry against bottom and sides of pan. Trim overhang to 1⁄2 inch, then fold the edge under. Pinch edges to flute.
Apple Crumb Pie
- 3 1⁄2 pounds Granny Smith, Cortland, Jonagold apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter, chilled, cut in pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make crust: mix together flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut the shortening into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork, until a dough forms.
- Shape into a flat circle then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll dough with a floured rolling pin. Using a cookie cutter or a glass, cut the pie crust to fit your muffin tin.
- To prepare filling: in a large bowl, toss together lemon juice, apples, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Spoon mixture evenly into crust.
- To prepare topping: mix together brown sugar, nutmeg and flour in a small bowl.
- Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut the butter into the brown sugar mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the filling to cover completely.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (mine took 35 minutes).